We've moved! Just without all the packing...come with us, we'd love for you to! =)

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://lifeatthelane.wordpress.com
and please don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

A time for thanks!

This week we're sharing Thanksgiving traditions at Kelly's Korner. Sorry, but there's no pictures to share, more just my thoughts and memories. As a child and for a lot of my adult life, Thanksgiving's were spent at Grandma's. She was a great cook and we always joked that she made enough food to feed a small army! Always with the kitchen a disaster of dishes and food. And by the time dinner was on the table, she would be full from sampling all day! And this feast was prepared in her small apartment kitchen! Honestly, when I think back, I'm not sure how she did it, but she always did. Some of my best memories are from there. But if you remember, she left this life in June.

Over the past few years, we've started new 'traditions'. My step-mom Linda is kitchen wizard! Not only does EVERYTHING she makes taste delicious, you would never believe how organized and clean things are. No evidence of the effort that it obviously takes to pull it all together! She's amazing at it.

From one great dinner to another...Mom took over dinner duty from Grandma a few years back. She's a lot like her (not sure she'd want to hear that she's like her Mother...ha! but in this case, it's a compliment). She spends the day preparing more food that we can eat in 4 days! Believe me, we try! Always good and we always eat waaaaaay too much! Guess that's what it's all about.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to have dinner here, at home. I'm so tempted but wow...it's a lot to take on. Especially considering I'm not exactly a chef. The first year we were married, I declared Thanksgiving would be at our house! Thank God for Grandma Herrmann and the Mom's. Shew....I think I've blocked a lot of that day for sanity sake! =) Think I could really pull it off again? I'm not so sure.

And, for the record...the concept of Thanksgiving sends me crazy! I say it every year but we should be thankful every day! I guess the holiday is a good reminder but PLEASE find something every day to be thankful for!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by